It consists of a stylized bird with outstretched wings enclosed by a circle. The names of the governmental offices, agencies, and military organization and formations are often incorporated.
The seal is present on all Colonial flags.
After the exodus from New Caprica, a text-less version of this seal hangs over the blue-colored backdrop cloth partition located in the Quorum meeting room on Colonial One (TRS: "The Ties That Bind").
Military vessels have emblems with the seal along with their names and battlestar groups. These are also worn as a patch on all uniforms, as a clasp for dress uniforms and on flags. On battlestars the seal is present in the CIC as metal plaque on one of the walls and etched into the glass of the doors. Galactica and Pegasus also sport the seal on their dorsal hulls. The emblem can also be found in several other places all over the ships, such as podiums in meeting and briefing rooms.
Like other government agencies, the Colonial Forces used the seal on official documents and correspondence, for example by the Caprican Colonial Forces Veteran's Hospital and other institutions of the Fleet.
One of the two seals from Galactica's CIC.
- The bird shown in the Colonial seal highly resembles the Phoenix; a mythical sacred firebird in ancient Greek mythology.
- The seal is displayed at the end the opening credits of Season 1, but replaced with the normal Battlestar Galactica logo in all subsequent seasons.
- This is a Battlestar Wiki descriptive term.
- Originally the seal was not on the ship, but was added by the visual effects artists later. Due to the re-use of existing footage it sometimes disappears and appears again.
- It is visible in the scrapbook in Kara Thrace's vision when she visits her mother's death bed.