Prayer to the Cloud of Unknowing
The prayer, interrupted by shouts of the Colonials as they assess the situation of living Cylons in their midst is: "Heavenly father [. . .] grant us the strength...the wisdom [. . .] and above all...a measure of acceptance..."
Lee Adama learns of this prayer from Sharon Agathon and witnesses the event (TRS: "A Measure of Salvation"). When the Number Six model Natalie is brought to sickbay after being shot, and knowing that she might die, she starts reciting this prayer (TRS: "Sine Qua Non").
- For those that we have lost in the past, and for those that we are burying today, we must remember, there is a higher purpose. Heavenly father, grant us the strength, the wisdom, and above all, a measure of acceptance, however small.
- The name of this prayer is a direct reference to a Christian centering prayer created in the 16th Century on the real-world Earth, which creates further parallels between the Cylon God and real-world Judeo-Christianity in the Re-imagined Series, in contrast to the Colonial polythesism.
- The prayer bears similarity to the Serenity Prayer often used by Twelve step programs:
- "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
- courage to change the things I can,
- and (the) wisdom to know the difference."