From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
- This article discusses the concept of marriage in the Original Series. For the seal of the Twelve Colonies in the Re-imagined Series, see Colonial seal.
The sealing ceremony for Apollo and Serina is transcribed below.
- Adama: "Will the protector of Serina consent to relinquishing his responsibilities to Apollo, the man to whom she has consented to be married?"
- Long pause. Everybody looks at Boxey.
- Serina nudges Boxey, who smiles.
- Boxey: "Yes."
- Adama: "The words I'm about to speak are the most powerful in all the universe. They seal a union between this man and this woman, which is not only for now, but for all the eternities."
- Apollo and Serina are holding hands, with their hands crossed over each other.
- Adama places the Seal on top of Serena's hand (who is on top), and wraps the chains around both of their hands.
- Adama: "Apollo. Serina. Under the eyes of God, bound by the symbol of the faiths of the Lord of Kobol, I declare you sealed."
- Apollo kisses Serina.
- The term "seal" is derived from the the Mormon priesthood and their use of "sealers", celebrants who officiate marriages held in their temples.
- Series creator and LDS member Glen Larson used this and other LDS Church references in creating the Original Series.
- It is assumed by many that the reference to the 'Lord of Kobol' is a continuity error, and is actually a reference to the Lords of Kobol.